The content manager, or admin panel, is the hidden part of the website that allows you to create new content, or edit the existing one.
To learn how to make this happen, or if you are unsure of what this means, continue reading this page.
Remember that you can always find assistance at any time on the community support chat.
If you now want to log into your site, and edit manage its content.
To continue further, you must already have done some important steps in the setup of your site:
- you did create a new portfolio.
- you have created a Github account. It was required for step 1. You use it to store the whole content and code of your new portfolio site (for reference, the original code and demo content in hosted on this Github repository).
- you have created a Netlify account. It was also required for step 1. It is used to host your site, setup custom domains, who can log in to edit content. Netlify is realy good, as it will react each time you change the content (or code) of your site, and will automatically put a new version online (that is called: “deploy” a new version of your site).
If you have already completed these steps, you can move on to the next section, to learn how to login your website, and manage your content.
Go to the /admin page, to login
To use the content manager of your site, go to its /admin page, and log in with your credentials. If you don’t know how to login, or don’t have yet any credentials, learn how to create your first user account in the next section: activate authentication..
Otherwise if you are now logged in, start editing the content of your site; start by:
- add a new
projectcontent type to your site, edit and save it. Visit your website home page and see if looks like you want.
- go back to your admin panel and edit existing content, you can delete exisitng entries and start putting your personal content
- change the
titleof your site, for this go to the
configcontent type and edit the
To be able to securely login to your administrative panel, you must now complete the following actions:
Note: you only have to do the following steps once, before being ablet to login into your CMS (the admin panel). If you can already login, jump to the
contentsection of this document.
- Go to your website’s project on netlify.com. Go on the Identity page, and click
- Now that identity is enabled, click on
Settings and usageto go to the identity service settings page, and scroll to the section
Git Gateway. Finally click on
Enable Git Gateway.
- Scroll back up and add “GitHub” under
Registration > External providers.
You are all setup for login in.
Go to your website’s /admin page, and log in using your GitHub account.
Alternatively, through Netlify’s interface, you can also invite new users to collaborate on your site. It is also in the
Identity panel of your site on netlify. You can add a user by its email adress, who will receive a mail to activate their account and choose their account password.
On the content management are available 3 categories of content (content types):
- projects are the core content type of your portfolio. You can create new
projects and they will appear on the homepage of your site.
- pages are an other content type, like a
contactpage. You can have much as you want, and select if they should appear in your site menu or not.
- configs stands for configuration. Edit the files under the
configscontent type to find more ways to customize you site, for example, how to change your site title!
- documentations. This is a special type of content for your site, where is stored all there is to know about how to edit and manage your site. It is built into your site, so every time there is something you don’t know, go there to get answers.
How to continue further
If you are done reading this page, you can fully interact and customize your new site. What you can now do is:
- Explore what can be done with your site in the documentation that comes with it.
- Join the community support chat), to discover new ways to improve your site.